Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advice
It is important to note that this situation is continually evolving.
Last Updated: 22nd March 2020 20:00 AEDT
Effective immediately, 1st Balcombe Heights Scout Group will no longer meet face-to-face.
However, the good news is:
- We will continue to run online meetings and programs for the remainder of this school term and will continue until otherwise advised.
- Our first meetings tomorrow for Joeys & Cubs will use Zoom video conferencing. Keep an eye out for an email from your leaders for details.
We know the coming days and weeks are going to be difficult for families as the spread of COVID-19 may cause schools to close.
As the experts in developing skills and bringing adventure to young people, we want to do what we can to help.
- As much as possible, we will try and keep some consistency with our existing ways and meeting times.
- We believe this is super important to help our kids keep some stability & normalcy in their upturned life at the moment.
- Things like Uniforms, scarves, flag breaks, patrol time, etc will still be used, but may be adapted for online meetings.
- We will setup an online collaboration platform to help keep our youth members engaged. We’re testing various platforms at the moment and will share some news shortly. (Please let me know if you would like to be involved in the trials).
- All group resources are still available for our members to use. Please contact your leaders or myself if you would like to borrow any equipment.
What does this mean for Scouting?
Our Leaders have already been discussing this potential scenario and already have a few challenges & project ideas for our Scouts.
At this stage we don’t have a definitive answer about what exactly this looks like, but will share more information as we go.
It may mean that we deliver a shorter program multiple times a week, or perhaps a mix of online and offline challenges, at least until we can get our 'sea legs' with the vastly different method of delivery.
Rest assured that we WILL still deliver a great Scouting program that all of our members can take part in.
We’re conscious that, in some cases, Scouts may be the only (virtual) face-to-face community interaction that some kids will have.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding while we get organised and put our exciting plans into effect.
Keep a look-out over the next few days for some instructions about joining our online meetings and more details on our online challenges.
What can I do to help?
Stay positive and wash your hands :)
While we normally love the great outdoors, we’ve pulled together some indoor activity ideas to help your kids learn new skills and have fun (and avoid you hearing ‘I’m bored’ every 30 seconds).
Please encourage your Scouts to think of creative challenges and projects that they might like to do, either individually or as a group.
Some ideas could be:
- Best/most informative video about how to properly wash your hands
- Virtual camp @ home - Backyard tenting or build a blanket fort in your lounge-room.
- Indoor scavenger hunt around the home/yard.
- Use a phone compass to map a route around your house/yard.
- Design and build a mini pioneering project from household items.
- Lego build challenge
- Design and build a minecraft world/town with your patrol.
- Build a shelter from household items and sleep in it overnight.
- Use Google maps to plan a walking or cycle route around your local area.
- Knotting practice.
- Cooking challenge.
Stay tuned for more information and ideas coming soon.
Thanks for all your help and cooperation, without you we can’t do this.
Thanks to our Leaders
We are fortunate to have a group of Leaders who collectively have the knowledge, skills and concern for the welfare of our youth members. Without exception, each and every Leader has held patience, level-headedness and leadership in these very challenging times.
We often refer to the “Scouting Family”. You and your children are part of our family.
Together, as one small part of our community, we can meet the challenges that are with us.
Thanks for your continued support.